Generations of Jacksons…
Colonel Edward Jackson, a Revolutionary War figure, originally settled the mill on the West Fork River in 1800. Three generations of Jacksons operated mills at this site which boasted saw and grist mills, a carpenter shop, blacksmith forge, quarters for 12 slaves, numerous barns and outbuildings, and a general store on 1500 acres of prime forest and pasture land.
Six year old Thomas Jackson and his four year old sister Laura came here as orphans in 1830 to live with their step-grandmother Elizabeth Jackson and their uncle Cummins Jackson. Thomas lived here until leaving for West Point in 1842.
Tom and Laura remained close throughout their lives until, like so many families, they found themselves on opposite sides of the Civil War. Laura opened her house in Beverly, WV to Union troops as a hospital. Thomas joined the Confederacy and became immortalized at the First Battle of Bull Run as the general the world would know as “Stonewall”.
Cummins Jackson died with no last will and testament. Over the years, the Jackson farmstead was divided and passed through several hands. In 1921, property that included the original Jackson homestead was given to West Virginia University to establish a youth facility. The deed agreement required that the homeplace marker be maintained. Our historic area has grown from that simple beginning. It has taken a collaborative effort to ensure that this piece of our past is forever remembered.